Monday, April 18, 2011

Spiced Springtime Sugar Cookies with Colorful Cookie Glaze

This is a great recipe I found on a magazine ad. The cookies came out a little hard at first, but softened and became perfectly chewy after we put the glaze on!

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight until firm.
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.
3. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.



Colorful Cookie Glaze

1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon or 1/4 teaspoon
2 teaspoons light corn syrup

Mix confectioners' sugar, milk and extract in small bowl until smooth. Stir in corn syrup until glaze is smooth and glossy. (If glaze is too thick, stir in small amount of additional corn syrup.) Stir in 3 to 4 drops food color until evenly distributed and glaze is smooth. Add additional drops of food color until glaze is of desired color.

Yield: About 1/2 cup.

{Kudos to: mccormick.com!}


Yes, there is a cookie under all that coconut! ;)

5 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun! We should try this with Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have tons of energy:) I need to do more projects with Elliott and not always worry about the huge mess I'll have to clean up afterwards:)
    Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, Brad actually did most of the work on this project- with Hallie's help. I wouldn't have undertaken this without him! :) I also have to say that Hallie LOVES helping, and she's finally big enough to cook with me, so I try and let her help as much as possible- partly because then I don't have to entertain or keep her out of trouble AND dinner gets done or we have a fun dessert. I still usually get stuck with all the clean-up, but it ends up being worth it. :) I'll try and post some easy projects we've done. I want to do "dirt cups"- just chocolate pudding with crushed up Oreos on top, but really simple and yummy!
    Oh, and thanks to you both for paying attention to my blog- it makes it more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting to be part of your lives through this :) Plus, I'm such a slacker blogger, I really need to do better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) to Lindsey! I love your blog, too! You helped inspire me to try blogging, and now it's becoming a great outlet. :)

    ReplyDelete