Monday, June 27, 2011

Apple Streusel Bars


First off, I don't like baked fruit. It's gross. Second, I LOVE these bars! They might become one of my favorite things to make! I think the key (for me) is to cut the apples really thin. I used an apple corer, and then cut the apple into 8ths. The crust is really my favorite part, and the whole thing is easy to put together, plus it uses ingredients I always have around! One thing I decided would be good for the next time around: cutting the glaze in half. The recipe calls for enough to almost completely cover the bars. I love the cinnamon-y apples and crust so much, I don't think there's a need for so much glaze. I also put a little less almond extract (about 3/4 tsp) at my husband's suggestion, and it still had plenty of flavor. Oh, and when mixing the apple filling, I threw everything in a gallon Ziploc and shook it up. Also, rather than putting the glaze in a bag and drizzling it- I just took heaping spoonfuls and drizzled it from the spoon. :)
Note: I made these a second time, and cut the glaze in half...I think just removing the almond extract would be good... I don't know, but I decided I like the glaze. Let me know what you think.
Another note: We just made these again, and my husband just sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top- no glaze- (and we ate them warm with vanilla ice cream! So good!!!)

Sweet Pastry:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, softened, no substitutions (JK- my husband used 3/4-1 cup butter-flavored Crisco, and it was SO much better than when I made it with butter!!!)
1 egg, beaten

Apple Filling:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups (about 3 medium) sliced, peeled baking apples (Granny Smith or Gala work beautifully)

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp almond extract
About 3 tablespoons milk (whole milk is best)

1. To prepare the crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.
2. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. To prepare apple filling, combine flour sugar, and cinnamon. Toss apples and spread apples on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. When finished, allow to cool completely.
4. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Transfer glaze to a zip-top bag and cut off a very small portion of one of the corners. Drizzle glaze over cooled pastry and allow to harden (you can place it in the freezer to hurry things along). Cut into bars and serve.
Makes 20-24 bars.

{Kudos to Our Best Bites cookbook!}

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! I love anything that resembles pie. :) I'm also excited to try out the chocolate chili! I love making things and then asking Josh what he thinks is in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie- I know what you mean- I love getting Brad's opinion, and I'm trying to introduce new flavors and foods (esp veggies) into our diet, so I'm always looking for tasty ways to do it! Let me know what you think if you try those recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete