I thought this was a great twist for zucchini bread, and the top crust is really good! Even my husband, who thinks chocolate and vegetables shouldn't mix, loved this recipe, and definitely ate his share!
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
3 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 smallish or 2 large zucchinis)
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 loaf pans and set aside. (This recipe will make 2 very full 8-inch pans or slightly less full 9-inch pans.)
2. Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
3. Place flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. With a stand or hand mixer beat oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs until combined and slightly fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined. Gently stir in the zucchini. Take a spoonful of the flour mixture and stir in with the chocolate chips (that will help keep them even distributed). If you only have regular chocolate chips or a chocolate bar, chop them. Stir remaining flour mixture into batter and mix just until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine.
6. Divide the batter between two pans and sprinkle topping over each.
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Set your timer for 45 minutes and then keep an eye on the loaves for the remaining time. When they are done, a toothpick should come out without goopy batter on it, and the tops will be gorgeous and cracked with sugar. Remove from oven and let them cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes and then remove from pans.
The author says to eat a piece warm, slathered in butter... I'm not a butter person, so I didn't try it that way, and I preferred it cooled. :)
Kudos to: Our Best Bites cookbook- which is becoming one of my favorites!!