Delicious and easy- a really good option for Sunday dinner!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (2 1/2-3 lbs) beef roast
2 (1 oz) packages dry onion soup mix
2 cups water
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
1 (16 oz) package sliced Swiss cheese
Buns or rolls (harder is better than soft)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, sprinkle all sides of roast with salt and pepper.
2. When the oil is very hot, carefully place the roast in the pan and sear it on all sides. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes- you just want to quickly brown the roast to add flavor and seal in the juices.
3. Transfer the roast to your slow cooker. Sprinkle onion soup mix over the roast and add water and beef broth.
4. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours. You can also cook it on high until it begins to boil, then switch the heat setting to low; this is our preferred method because it seems to make the meat more tender.
5. When the meat shreds easily with a fork, shred the entire roast. Serve on sliced rolls with a slice of Swiss cheese. If desired, you can slide these under the broiler on your oven to toast the bun and melt the cheese. Serve with juices from the slow cooker as au jus for dipping.
Kudos to Our Best Bites cookbook!