Monday, August 13, 2012

"Best Ever Chocolate Cake"


***Check out my new blog for better pics of this delicious cake! http://www.kayescupboard.com/best-ever-chocolate-cake/

My 3 yr old wanted to make a chocolate cake for her daddy yesterday, but I didn't have any cake mix or chocolate chips, so I was trying to find one that used cocoa powder, and was hopefully pretty good. I found this recipe, and honestly can't stop eating it!

You would think this was a pic of the finished cake, but it's not- this is just the batter!
My husband gave it a 8.5/10. My 3 yr old only ate the frosting. My 1 yr old at her piece and part of the 3 yr old's (can't let it go to waste!) Unless I find a better recipe, I'm using this in the future for sure, and I don't think I'll buy a boxed chocolate cake mix again! I especially like how light it turned out- I'd easily eat it without frosting!

3/4 cup butter (room temperature or just microwave for a bit)
3 eggs (set out 30 minutes ahead, or put in warm water for 15 minutes)
2 cups cake flour (or all-purpose)
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk

1. Lightly grease bottoms of three 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans or two 9x1 1/2-inch round cake pans or two 8x8x2-inch baking pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour waxed paper and sides of pans. (I realized I didn't have any cake pans, so I (skipped the wax paper and) sprayed a 9x11 and made what my husband called "a man cake!") Set pans aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until well mixed. Scrape the sides of the bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla.
4. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to beaten mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread evenly into the prepared pans.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes for round cake pans, 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch square pans or 9x11, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cook cake layers in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool completely on wire racks.

Yield: 12-16 servings.

{Kudos to Better Homes and Gardens- Our Best Recipes cookbook!}

No comments:

Post a Comment