Tuesday, August 14, 2012

(Better Than) Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana



I got hooked on this soup when my sister-in-law made it a few years ago- lots of flavor, and I think she added extra potatoes, bacon, sausage, and kale- SO good!! Then, I went to Olive Garden and tried the soup this recipe is modeled after, and was disappointed! Theirs is very thin, with hardly any of the "good stuff" (the ingredients that my sister-in-law always added extra of). It was a very similar flavor, but OG's was nowhere close to the filling, satisfying soup I was used to. This recipe is awesome!

1 1/2 cups spicy sausage links (12 small) or 1 lb spicy sausage, browned
2 medium potatoes, cubed
3/4 c onions, diced
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 cups kale leaves, cut in small pieces
2 Tablespoons chicken base
1 quart water
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 300; place sausage links onto a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until done; cut in pieces (or skip this step if using browned sausage).
Placed onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until the onions are almost clear. Remove bacon and crumble. Add garlic to onions and cook an additional minute. Add chicken base, water, and potatoes, and simmer 15 minutes. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

{Kudos to Lake Stevens 1st Ward cookbook- D.M./my sister-in-law, Melissa!!}

2 comments:

  1. Hi there - I just wanted to let you know I came across a facebook page called "Quick and EAsy Recipes" and they had posted this recipe with the FULL recipe and YOUR photo on the page with no credit to you whatsoever (I thought I recognized the photo so I googled it). Sorry about that :( It was done on 12/2.

    Here's the link:

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick-and-Easy-Recipes/573251016047477

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate that you let me know! And I'm flattered that you recognized it from my blog! :)

      Delete